Saturday, May 2, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 51: May 2, 2020

Over the course of the last 6 weeks, I have taken a very strict interpretation of the Stay-At-Home order. Not only because The Prof was potentially sick, and I didn't want to risk spreading contagion, but because I am a wee bit too much of a law-abiding goody-two-shoes for my own good. So when I read that the Stay At Home order excluded all travel that was not essential, I really hunkered down. No getting in the car and going anywhere, other than The Prof's house, three days a week.

I went 6 weeks without putting gas in my car.

But last evening...I did a naughty thing. I got in my car and I drove, for no essential reason. And god help me, it was wonderful to get out and remember that an entire world exists outside my little apartment. It was wonderful to get out and see my beloved Southern Indiana in all its humble beauty, which I gave up just about everything for. I may not be able to do corn festivals or go on barn tours or guided wildflower hikes or visit the state fair or play corn hole right now, but I can at least remind myself of the beautiful place where I live.

And no need to worry--I drove to Solsberry, Indiana, an unincorporated township of about 4000 here in Southern Indiana. So, given that very few people know of this place's existence, it kind of predisposes itself to to social distancing! My grandfather's grandparents are buried in a small cemetery out there, and I love to drive out and spend some time there, every now and then. The drive is always gorgeous, and the cemetery itself is peaceful and perfect.

So, that's what I did yesterday evening. As the clouds gathered and the evening fell, I drove and feasted my eyes on rural Indiana in the springtime and tried very hard not to think too much about the politics of the population there. I sat by John and Sarah Derrickson's graves and wondered how the hell they ended up being buried in Southern Indiana, when so much of their family were in the northern part of the state, and pondered what their lives had been like, and listened to the Canadian geese honk, and happily pondered better days to come. These better days have to come, don't they? Some day?

Still and all. Getting out of the house and going on a little road trip really were quite restorative for me--it really helped me banish some of my recent discombobulation. If it's safe for you to do so, I urge you to do the same. Get out of your home, drive around, remind yourself of the natural world, still carrying on. Someday, we will be able to really experience and explore our beloved haunts again, and discover new ones, too.

For now, I'll leave you with pictures of one of the loveliest parts of Indiana...













And if you made it this far...

Daily Indiana COVID-19 Counts: 
Total Number of Cases: 19,295 (up from yesterday's 18,630)
130 of these cases are in Monroe County. 
1,115 have died. 

No comments:

Post a Comment