Thursday, August 11, 2022

Book-It List, August 2022 Edition

I had a whole post typed up about how, at some point over the heartbreak and trauma of the last two years, I somehow manage to lose my Reading Groove. That is to say, my voracious appetite for books somehow withered away to a skeletal echo of its previous voluptuous self. Thanks, Corona.

But then I thought, who the fuck wants to read about that? Many of us found our concentration shot during the fallout of the last couple of years. Many of us had too much else going on. What-the-fuck-ever. We keep buggering on.

Fortunately, I think my Reading Groove is starting to come back. Books—which are, perhaps, my oldest and truest friends—are starting to appeal to me once more, and I am trying to deliberately cultivate that interest, coax it back into being. What better way to do it than to create a monthly Bucket List of Books? A Book-It List, if you will: 


ik

I'm not a book blogger--hell, I'm barely a blogger--so I promise I won't be nattering on at great length about all the titles on my bedstand right now; nor will I be doing any sort of formal reviews on here. Instead, I figure I'll just hit a few of the highlights about my reading goals of the month...

First, and obviously most importantly, The Art of the Occult, by S. Elizabeth


Full disclosure: I read this book a couple of years back, but the author S. Elizabeth (AKA Eldest Sister) is releasing her second book The Art of Darkness next month, and I figured I should re-read to get me in the mood for her next literary work. Although, I won't be reading The Art of Darkness until we are balls-deep in the middle of Spooky SZN.

Next up! The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, both by Andrzej Sapowski.


I'm not always a slut for fantasy novels, but when I am, it's usually because there's a delectable bit of man-meat lurking within the pages. And if you've seen The Witcher televisions series, which is based on these books, you'll know the man-meat of which I speak: 

Behold! Geralt of Rivia, at his cleanest. 

Alas and alack! There are only two seasons of The Witcher out as of right now, but happily, there's a whole stinkin' series of books just waiting for me to devour. 

And finally, The Midwest Survival Guide: How We Talk, Love, Work, Drink and Eat...Everything With Ranch, by Charlie Berens.


Look, just because this book is considered "regional humour" doesn't make it untrue. (Especially about the Ranch dressing, AKA "Hoosier Sauce.") The author is Charlie Berens of TikTok and YouTube fame, and his writing is every bit as delightful (and mostly wholesome, which, wtf? Who am I even?) as his video productions. Out-of-towners, if you ever plan to visit me, please read this book first...and be prepared for "A Midwestern Good-Bye." 

Obviously, I've got a bunch of other stuff in my reading pile,  including some youth fiction, as well as the picture books I look over when I'm working the desk, but since there's every chance I won't read my way to the bottom of my August Book-It List, I'm sure as shit not going to blog my way to the bottom, either. 

Happy Reading, Comrades!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment