Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Weirdest. Christmas. Ever.

...But, by golly, it was still Christmas. Having made the decision to lean into the holiday as best as I was able, I went right ahead and did what I could to enjoy things. 

On December 23: RUMBALLS!

Most years since returning home, I've spent the weekend before Christmas in Indy with my friend Dr J; during which, we partake in some sort of iconic Indy Christmas activity, eat an obscene amount, make rumballs and get drunk, and then watch cheesy holiday movies. This year, for obvious reasons, most of this couldn't happen...but Dr J , game as ever, joined me for an evening of making rumballs, drinking, chatting, and whatnot via Google Hangouts. 

Fuck you, 2020. I still win. And my rumballs are better than yours. 


December 24: It wasn't a white Christmas, per se, but it was balls-shrivelingly cold, and snow fell on and off throughout the day. I listened to Christmas music and drove about town, delivering Christmas gifts and nomnoms to people. And, for the first time ever, I went caroling. Not, like, going from door to door with a bunch of people, singing. But standing around, with three other women in Bryan Park, freezing our tits off as we sang to ourselves and each other. In masks. 6 feet apart. We crooned. We warbled. At times, we belted out tunes with gusto, if not pitch or rhythm or harmony. If we opted not to sing a song, we had to do an interpretive dance. It was awkward as hell, and delightful, and I very much hope we can do it again next year, with more of us, without masks. I'm sure the other park-goers wish no such thing.

December 25:  You know, I could focus on the fact that I spent this Christmas alone. But instead, I'm going to focus on the fact that this was, I think, the very first Christmas of my life, that I spent alone. How freaking lucky am I? But even so, I don't feel like I was alone this Christmas: my day was filled with phone calls, Skype dates, text and Facebook messages, cards and letters and emails. And, later in the day, I tuned in for the Queen's annual Christmas Speech. Her possibly immortal Royal Highness said, "Of course, for many, this time of year will be tinged with sadness: some mourning the loss of those dear to them, and others missing friends and family-members distanced for safety, when all they'd really want for Christmas is a simple hug or a squeeze of the hand. If you are among them, you are not alone and let me assure you of my thoughts and prayers."

Then I cried a little. And then, because I'm a demented magpie, I got distracted by the old broad's brooch.



Thus ended Christmas 2020. While it could certainly have been so much worse, at least for me, I can heartily say that I hope we never see its like again. This year took a lot out of us, and this holiday, even moreso. We've made it through, and we'll keep making it through, but we've got a long way to go. 

Stay safe, friends, and keep faith. Merry everything, and happy always.

No comments:

Post a Comment