Sunday, May 10, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 56: May 10, 2020

Another day, another holiday in quarantine. Easter has passed us by, and Earth Day, and lots of birthdays and death days and anniversaries. And today, Mother's Day.

Y'all, even during a "normal" year, I feel some sort of way about Mother's Day. My mother, with whom I shared a complex and troubled relationship, passed away in 2013, long before she should have done. And my grandmother (my mother's mother), who essentially raised me, passed away in 2017. So, apart from my (former) mother-in-law, whom I love dearly, I'm a bit of a motherless chick. So are my sisters. So each year, when Mother's Day rolls around, we give a lot of our friends some semi-resentful side-eye.

And this year? I don't even know how to feel. Which is kinda ridiculous, seeing as how Apocalypse 2020 has certainly had me performing a great number of emotional gymnastics and sit with some troubling, fascinating, inexplicable thoughts and feelings. I guess, instead of talking about how I feel, I'll talk about...10 Things I Would Say to My Mom, If She Were Still Alive:




1. Stay the Fuck at Home.
2. 40 cats was definitely too many.
3. Let's go watch Downton Abbey together.
4. You need to read this book...
5. What in the actual hell were you thinking, smoking all those years?
6. For fuck's sake, why don't you pick up the phone when I call?
7. Tell me everything.
8. I'm sorry. I love you.
9. You did your best, and I'm so fucking proud of you.
10. In the past three months, I have been equally torn between "I'm so glad you're not here to struggle and worry through this," and "holy fuck, I want my mother."
Bonus round: 
11. Thank you for teaching me how to swear.


Eldest Sister summed up her thoughts pretty well:


Current Indiana COVID-19 Counts: 
Total Number of Cases: 24,126 (up from yesterday's 23,732)
1,379 people have died. 

Natitonwide, 78,771 people have died.

No comments:

Post a Comment