Sunday, March 7, 2021

Corners of My Home, Part 1


"Stay the fuck at home."

That was one of the earliest mantras of the 2020 Apocalypse, preceding everything from "Hey, all you cool cats and kittens!" to "wear your fucking mask or get the fuck out of my face, you selfish ignorant fuckwad who really must not give a fuck about anything other than your own fucking need to be right." Home became The Place To Be. If we were unlucky, we hunkered down with asshole roommates and shitty partners; if we were lucky, we spent our solitary days cooking and crafting and purging and redecorating and renovating and sometimes, even moving. I seem to remember reading somewhere, last summer, that the pandemic and the quarantine was actually a wake-up call for a lot of people, who then went on to sell their homes. Having to spend so much time in them, folks realized all the things that they didn't like about where they lived. I realized, myself, that when I look for my next home to buy or rent, I need to ask myself, "Once I'm moved in with all my shit, and my cats, could I picture myself being quarantined here?"

I was one of the fortunate ones. It's been six years since I extracted myself from an unhappy marriage, and three years since I've lived with an asshole roommate. It's just me and my cats and my stuff; and over the course of the last year, I found ways to both purge and acquire more. (Stuff, not cats.) Oh, capitalism and consumerism. Even when we're balls-deep in a pandemic, we can still count on you, as evidenced by Jeff Bezos's ever-increasing value. 

ANYWAY.

Over the course of the last year, I've tidied and cleaned and purged and rearranged, and have done so repeatedly, all to make my home the most homey version of itself it could be. But it's funny, when you're living alone and staying the fuck at home and but not entertaining, sometimes without that outside accountability, you start to go feral, just a wee bit. 

It's spring, right? Time for some spring cleaning and whatnot. And that's what I'm getting on with, this weekend. If you're anything like me, you're nosy as fuck. I love seeing folks' homes; love seeing how they live and decorate and order their lives.  So! lucky you! I've decided to share some of the "corners" of my home, post-nesting. It's a snapshot in time, and won't stay this clean or cosy or collected for that long, but whatever. And if you don't like it, you can fuck off into the void. Happy viewing!

This is the living room. This is where the living happens. (Hey, I just made that connection! That's
why they call it the living room!) This is where I puzzle and watch TV and colour and read.)


This is where we used to get the party started. Alas, not anymore. 

My kitchen is an unholy mess (why the hell won't my cats clean up? I do the cooking, after all),
  but I managed to clean up this particular corner. (Also, side note: I love the colour teal)


One of my many, many bookshelves. 

My colouring station. Yes, I am aware, I have a problem.

Good-bye.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I loved this little peeks! Especially the bookcase...and is that a corncob pipe??

    ReplyDelete