Sunday, March 7, 2021

Weekly Craft Update

Time to give my first weekly report on crafting my way through March!

At the top of the week, I had a fairly ambitious checklist of creative work at which I wanted to peck away: 

As it turns out, my ambitions outstripped my energy.

But as is so often the case, the week started to peck away at me, instead. Work left me both exhausted and tapped out, so much so that by the time I got home, I didn't have a lot left in me for the more ambitious projects. Nonetheless, I did manage to do some creative work, including:

  • Blogging: So far, I'm 7/7 in terms of my goal to blog each day this month. With the help of Eldest Sister, I came up with a basic "itinerary" for each day's blog posts, subject to change. And while sometimes it's a bit of a struggle to start typing away at 10 PM when I'd really rather simply become one with the couch, I've powered through, and I am noticing that there is some truth in what Eldest says--the more you do something, the more ideas you have. 
  • Knitting: Okay, so I know this one is a stretch. A year or two back, my friend Jessica taught me how to cast on, and then moved on to teach me the next step...and I just, I dunno, got stuck. It takes me a while to learn shit, okay? So I decided to perfect my ability to cast on before moving on to anything else. And then the Apocalypse happened, and I haven't had the opportunity to learn anything else from Jessica...so I just cast on, unwind, and cast on, in perpetuity. Or at least until Herd Day. Cast on, unwind, cast on...
When I do this, I feel like I am possibly the fourth Fate from Greek
mythology,the one who didn't make it past the auditions."You can't even
 properly knit; why should we let you help out with weaving the lives of
 mortals? For your hubris,we condemn you to a life of pointlessly casting on!" 
(Yes, I'm aware, that got dark fast.)


Nonetheless, Indiana is happy with this state of affairs. 

  • Mandala art: My devotion to this has somewhat waxed and waned over the last few months. I don't have a very sturdy compass, which seems to be one of the basic tools of drawing mandalas. So until such time as I remedy that, I decided to do a little bit of...I dunno...doodling a hybrid of mandala/zentangles? With a little bit of mehndi for inspiration? (I want to be very very careful about cultural appropriation with regards to mehndi creations; although it seems like there is a great deal of mehndi influence in mandalas. It's often difficult to judge where one ends and the other begins.)

Personally, I feel like this is obviously very crudely executed,
 but it's freehand, dammit. That's gotta be something, right?

  • Colouring:  On the nights when I was just too done in for much at all, there's my endless colouring habit. Here's what I did this week, as I binged Elementary.
I'm making very tentative travel plans to hit the beaches of Florida
over Thanksgiving, so this nautically-themed colouring
page is a happy reminder that better days are coming. 

So what about you? What are you crafting and creating right now?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! As I was admiring your mandalas I thought...wouldn't it be cool is there was a Hildegard von Bingen mandala/illuminated manuscript coloring book??

    ReplyDelete