Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 5: 17 March 2020

My Day in Numbers: 
Face to Face (FTF) Contact: 1 person
Phone Contact: 1 Person
FB messenger: 9 people
Text Contact: 8675309 people
Exercise: 27 minutes on the exercise bike; held a modified plank (probably with incorrect form) for 25 seconds.
COVID19 cases in Indiana: Up to 30, from yesterday's 24
Books I'm Reading:  White Fragility and The Road to Little Dribbling

Today in News:
Amazon is suspending non-essential shipments. 
NYC considering "Shelter in Place."
Pennsylvania is closing its liquor stores.  Don't live in PA? Whatevs. Stock up!

Ways that Things Are Changing:
In my industry (public libraries) there has been a lot of push-pull tension in the last 10 years or so between us and the publishing industry, over the pricing and availability of eBooks. The TL;DR on it is that publishers are exploiting the surge in the public's interest in, and need for, econtent by charging ridiculous prices to libraries and withholding content. Welp, for now, that's changing, at least a little bit, and I have no doubt that it is in response to these current nutty times. Will it last? Who the hell knows? But whatever, it's not like anything else is certain, anyway.

My Own Life:
This would have been my first day back to work, had life been following The Old Normal. But...that's not the case. I think the last time I felt this...unmoored? was when I was only taking a couple of college classes, the summer of 2003, and had a lot of time to sit by the pool and read Germinal and flip through my Latin vocab flashcards. I'm trying to keep some sort of schedule in place. Today was pretty successful in that regard. I did chores and read and exercised and tried to stay in touch with people and keep sane.

I encountered one of my downstairs neighbors today as I was taking out my trash. She and I have only interacted a couple of times before, but such was our...estrangement? from the human race at this juncture that she offered me the fruits of her "stress baking." I thanked her, and declined, but later sneaked down to her apartment and left a note on her door, thanking her and giving her my phone number in case she needed anything. It's going to be our kindness, our love for humanity, our willingness to help friends and strangers alike, that will get us through this.

The Daily Happy: It's Saint Patrick's Day, and The Dropkick Murphys streamed their concert on YouTube. They played in an empty venue, save for the roadies or whatever, and it was great--vibrant and vigorous and life-affirming. I maybe danced around in my living room and drank wine during this concert.


Memes of the day:





No comments:

Post a Comment