Friday, March 27, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 14: March 26, 2020

Hey, look at that. I woke up this morning, not dead. Or even feeling at all less than right as rain. But that's the thing (or, at least, one of the things) about anxiety: it tells some compelling, horrifying stories, and it knows how to tell it them to you a way that makes you listen.

So, another day, Living My Best Plague Life (TM). After an initial restlessness in the first few days of hunkering down, I've hit my stride; so long as I try to keep to some semblance of a regular wake-in-the-morning-go-to-sleep-at-night schedule, I don't feel too much like I am living in a twilight world. I certainly have plenty to keep myself busy and entertained, and I'm reaching out and meeting up (virtually) with family and friends and colleagues quite often. The more I stay inside, the safer I feel, but I have to venture forth to tend to Professor Susan three times a week, and usually have to stop somewhere for some supplies. Really, if it weren't for The Prof, I wouldn't really be interacting much with anyone, face to face. I guess you could say she's my friend at the end of the world.

I actually took a special trip over to her place today, for a much-anticipated stroll-and-roll. (The Prof relies on a wheelchair for most of her circumambulation.) Last week, she and I were lamenting about how this was unfolding during spring, one of the most lovely times of the year, and we hatched the plan to take a little jaunt around her neighborhood, the next time the weather turned fair. We settled on today, but wouldn't you know, as soon as I stepped out of the car, it started drizzling. Nonetheless, we ventured forth, with me trying to walk about 6 feet behind and to the left, and did our best to enjoy the spring day.







Other accomplishments of the day: I cleaned off my back deck and the patio furniture--now that the weather is perking up, I definitely plan to incorporate that space into My Best Plague Life (TM). Once again, I pillaged Damn Delicious and made their recipe for Sheet Pan Nachoes:



And finished coloring yet another postcard:


Meanwhile, beyond the borders of my circumscribed little world, all is shit:

The United States has surpassed China to become the epicenter of the Coronavirus Pandemic. Really, folks? That's what we want to overachieve at? Maybe if we had closed our malls and libraries and restaurants and went on lockdown earlier, we could have avoided what's coming. But...'Murica. Hell no.

COVID-19 cases in Indiana are now up to 645 from yesterday's 477.

And, to resume ending things on a positive note:






No comments:

Post a Comment