Friday, April 3, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 21: April 2, 2020

For many years, I've always loved the sight of candelabras burning in peoples' windows. I don't care if these folks are strangers; I see those candelabras and I feel like I know something about those people. I think, perhaps wrongly,  "these guys know the importance of home, and of lighting a candle of hope." Because to me, that's what those flickering (LED) flames represent. A safe haven, a calm in the middle of the storm.  Every now and then, I'll try to put some in my own windows, but the furry fuckers usually knock them down and bat them under my living room furniture. But in these lonely, uncertain times, what the hell? So I dug around under my sofa and found those candelabras, and placed them in the window.


Is it whistling in the dark? Yes, perhaps. I don't care. I'm trying to keep my internal candle of hope lit, and I hope everyone else is, too. 

Another day in quarantine, or self-isolation, or physically distancing myself, or whatever the latest phrase is. Sticking to a routine helps so much. Reaching out to at least a couple of people every day helps. Trying to get some movement in as soon as I get out of bed--whenever that is--that helps. Having a meal plan and trying to stick to it, that helps a lot. And not looking at the news too much. Seriously, folks, the world is ending whether or not we check in CNN three times a day, or 20. 

Which reminds me--What's going on with Italy? I haven't heard much about it lately. Does it even exist anymore?

Like many folks, I've had to make some adjustments to my living space in order to have a "work from home" space. My space is in my craft room...which also happens to be the room in which my cats' litter boxes are kept. So it's not like I can keep the door closed to keep Austen and Indiana from wandering in. Which of course, they do. Austen, especially, likes to make his presence known during Zoom meetings. He did so today, during a Leadership team meeting, when he hopped up on my desk and sat right in front of the camera and stared at everyone for an unsettling amount of time. And then, as cool as you please, he got up, turned around, and presented his butthole to the camera. 

Thanks, Austen. Thanks, COVID-19. 

Speaking of...

Total Cases: 3,039 (Up from yesterday's 2,565)
78 people have died. 

Daily Gratitude: 
Zoom. Skype. Google Hangouts. I've lost count of the number times I've used them over the last few weeks; they have been such sanity savers. 

Daily Funnies: 






No comments:

Post a Comment