Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Plague Diaries, Issue 33: April 14, 2020



Good Things That Happened Today: 

As soon as I rolled out of bed this morning, I had a Skype coffee date with Eldest Sister at 8 AM. We've done a few of these now, and it has been so helpful--it compels me to arise from my slumber at a reasonable time of day, and I get to launch into the day interacting with another human being--and one who cares about my existence. For anyone else who lives alone, I recommend this as the number one thing you can do to get you through this time. Get yourself a coffee buddy.

After my coffee date, I took on another Yoga with Adriene session--before, I was just doing an easy-peasy five minute "wake up" session. Today, I actually took on a session that went for almost 20 minutes--still very gentle, easy, and not very challenging for most people, but I had moments that challenged me. And for a long time after I was done, I continued to feel my body, and to be aware of it. My body felt awake after that yoga session. (I'm quite sure my form is terrible, and I'm doing it all wrong, but I'm bloody well doing it, alright?

Today, I also cooked--Lemon Garlic Butter Chicken with Green Beans--and the good thing that came of this was that I didn't die of food poisoning or whatever. I am absolutely terrified to cook chicken; I'm afraid I'll undercook it and die. So! I wasn't overly impressed with the recipe, but I didn't die.


I finished another book this evening--Nikolas Butler's The Hearts of Men. Butler's works have a strange appeal for me...most of the time, they are set in Wisconsin, which explains a certain amount of my interest (especially during my California years, I devoured all the Midwestern-centered books I could). But his novels are also slightly (but not too much) literary, male-focused...domestic dramas. I've never encountered anything else quite like his books. And while I didn't like The Hearts of Men as much as Butler's two previous novels, it was still more than adequate escapism.


Things That Weren't Great Today

According to this article, US May Have to Endure Social Distancing Until 2022 unless a vaccine is quickly created. BRB, I have to go kill myself.

Coronavirus deaths are back up in Indiana. In fact, apparently the US hit a new "highest deadly death toll" today--and I thought we hit that over this weekend just past! Sounds like New York has changed how they are counting deaths, which could account for that jump. But maybe we've not hit the peak after all...

So what's the moral of this story? The Indy Grrl is a dumbass for reading the news.

Daily Indiana COVID-19 Counts: 
Total Cases: 8,527 (up from yesterday's 8,236)
387 people have died.

Daily Gratitude: 
YouTube. As silly as it sounds, YouTube has been fantastic company for me during this time. I spend a revolting amount of time watching the vlogs of Basic Bitch influencers in Los Angeles--and I have no regrets. Hell, I may do a blog post promoting my 10 favorites. What can I say? It's company.

Daily Funnies: 

Editor's Note: If I get around to house-hunting next year,
 I will DEFINITELY be asking myself this!





No comments:

Post a Comment