Friday, April 17, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 36: April 17, 2020

Happy Friday!

When I was much younger, growing up in Florida, I was raised mostly by my grandparents. These two delightful people, perhaps unintentionally, taught me a lot about many things, not least of which was the concept of the division of labour. Back then, my grandmother, Mawga, did most of the cooking, and my grandfather, Boppa, would do the cleaning up in the kitchen afterwards.

I remember this because, countless times, as soon as Boppa was done cleaning up, he would turn off the lights in the kitchen and announce, with great emphasis and ceremony, to no one in particular, "The kitchen is now closed." Now, I have no recollections about my response--whether I even acknowledged these pronouncements, or took the hint and didn't go in for a midnight forage, or thank him for cleaning up. But now, I definitely get why he was delighted to close the kitchen for the night!

Like most of you, right now, I'm spending a hell of a lot of time in the kitchen these days--either cooking, or foraging, or endlessly tidying up the fridge and larder, or cleaning up. And oh my god...the dishes. The dishes never fucking end. What the hell? It's this endless cycle of meal plan-supply acquisition-cooking-consuming-cleaning up. And the kitchen never seems to get quite clean enough, or even if it does, it doesn't stay clean very long at all.

I get it now, Boppa, I really do. Someone, please, close the goddamn kitchen. 

Oh, hi. I guess I'm someone. So tonight I did a fairly decent clean-up, turned out the lights, and stepped away. Through the weekend, I'll survive on leftovers, frozen meals, perhaps take-out, all served on paper plates unearthed from some forgotten cabinet. If I cannot microwave it, or toast it, I'm not looking at it. And two and a half days of not cooking or cleaning are what I count as an exciting weekend, these days.

Close your kitchens if you can, folks. You'll thank me for it. 

Daily Indiana COVID-19 Counts: 
Total Number of Cases: 10,154 (up from yesterday's 9,542)
519 people have died

Daily Gratitude: 
I've never been so grateful for my bigass kitchen. Even if it is temporarily closed.

Daily Funnies: 






No comments:

Post a Comment