Sunday, April 19, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 37: April 18, 2020

How can a day be so lovely, yet so wretched? I suppose I will have to chalk it up to yet another strange thing during these strange times.

It was a good day today; I mainly puttered about the house in a leisurely fashion, with nothing more than the usual apocalyptic nonsense to vex me. But by the end today, I was very sad, indeed. Lonesome and just feeling some sort of way, and strangely, homesick--not so much for Florida as a place, but for my Florida family and experiences and history. Whenever I travel there I resent going to that overheated swamp of weirdos which is, even now, redolent with the stink of my less than perfectly happy childhood and young adulthood. But now that travel is impossible, I want nothing more to be in that state, in the company of my sisters, griping about the heat drinking wine and eating cheese  and remembering years past and laughing about present absurdities. I want nothing more than to hear the rattle of tree frogs and crickets and cicadas and to walk on the beach and hunt for shells and drive the roads of my hometown and remember.

I love it here in Indiana and in Bloomington--the thought of being quarantined in Florida gives me the horrors--but oh, dammit, I do miss my family right now, and I hate that I cannot be with them.

To keep my sanity, I'll end by focusing on the good things today. It was an absolutely beautiful day today, fine and clear and bright and cool. I did another yoga session via Yoga with Adriene on YouTube and that was grand, to be able to direct my mind to things other than this current hellscape of sickness, both physical and spiritual, in the world. Middle Sister picked up the phone every time I called; I don't know that I could ask for a more supportive sister, especially now.

Daily Indiana COVID-19 Counts
Total Number of Cases: 10,641 (up from yesterday's 10,154)
545 people have died.

Daily Gratitude: 
Downton Abbey. I've watched this show dozens of times before, but it's so solid and sumptuous and reassuring right now.

Daily Funnies: 


No comments:

Post a Comment