Friday, April 24, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 43: April 24, 2020

It's been a long time, I think, since I've felt like Friday was Friday.

You know what I mean...being glad that the week of work and deadlines and meetings and dramas and obligations was at an end; being glad to have a couple of days to tend to sleep or chores or creative pursuits or fun outings with friends or...even nothing. Since the beginning of the plague, for so many of us, those concepts of weekdays and weekends have blurred together. And the anticipation and relief that used to come with some Fridays...well, it's just not there anymore. Because there aren't the same weekday stressors and challenges; nor are the adventures and treats and delights of a weekend.


Every now and then, in my pre-quarantine life, I would feel restless and wonder, Is this it? Is this my life for the next four decades? Post-quarantine, I can safely say, God, I hope so. Yes, please. It's definitely preferable to this lonely, liminal space.

Anyway. Happy Friday, y'all! I was actually able to get to do some work this week, so it felt more Friday than Friday has felt in a long time, if that makes sense. And I'm celebrating by sitting in my living room with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, the lights dimmed low, the windows open to let the cool spring air finger its way past the drapes, a candle burning, and a First Aid Kit acoustic concert playing on YouTube. Like all of you, I've got no big plans for the weekend, but that's okay. Rest is important, even now. Especially now, actually.

Something I came across today...
Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs. In order fill the needs at the top
of the pyramid, we've got to have the needs lower down filled first. 

Let's be kind to ourselves, and keep our expectations of ourselves and each other reasonable.

Daily Indiana COVID-19 Counts: 
Total Number of Cases: 13,680 (up from yesterday's 13,039)
741 people have died.

Daily Gratitude: 
I think today may have been the loveliest spring day yet.

Daily Funnies: 


No comments:

Post a Comment