Thursday, April 16, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 35: April 16, 2020

When all of this started, when my social distancing journey first began, it began with a very sudden, rude awakening: I had to cancel a mini-vacation and a friend's out-of-state visit literally hours before it was supposed to begin. And then states of emergency were declared and travel was restricted into the US and my work was closed, and while I got used to disappointment at the very beginning of this shitshow (and I count myself lucky that I was able to be acclimatized to it, right at the beginning) I didn't think ahead to other potential plans that might also get cancelled.


Welp. Looks like we are now at that point.

I turn 40 on May 25 Sometime late last year, I somehow got it into my head that it would be a lovely idea to have a lovely long weekend house party, back where it all began--in Cincinnati, where I was born--with some of the folks who know and love me best, and longest--and could put up with a houseful of other people. Now, I'm not really a very eager party organizer, particularly when it comes to a party for myself. I always find myself worried finding a date that works for everyone, about finding a venue that will welcome everyone, about folks not enjoying themselves, not having enough vegetarian options, entertainment opportunities...to say nothing of the fact that jesus christ, how arrogant and full of myself am I, to throw a party for myself? Yet I powered through. I sent out some invites, and to my surprise, the people I invited agreed to come. I secured a lovely home for us to use as our base of shenanigans. And then...2020 came around.

I'd been holding off on cancelling my birthday weekend, even though I'd known for a couple of weeks that this needed to happen. Earlier this week, I maybe had a tiny meltdown with Middle Sister. While it's at the end of May that my birthday weekend is happening, the (now, it seems, optimistic) projections from National Institute for Health Metrics based those numbers on people Staying the Fuck at Home until the end of May. So...nope. Some Midwestern states like Wisconsin have figured that shit out, and have extended their stay-at-home orders until May 26. And I'll be goddamned if I'll be part of the problem, or encourage my loved ones to put themselves at risk.

So today, I pulled the trigger. I cancelled my trip. Even if the country does re-open at the end of May, I will not be doing the things that I wanted, because it's for the greater good. I'm absolutely very sad about it, but at least I'm not the only one who has to deal with these disappointments. My mom always told me, "Shit happens", and goddamn, that woman was wise.

Either that, or all those plans I've cancelled over the years have accumulated for some epic karmic retribution.

Daily Indiana COVID-19 Counts:
9,542 (up from yesterday's 8,955)
477 people have died.

Daily Gratitude: 
Hey, at least I'm alive and able to cancel plans.

Daily Funnies: 





1 comment:

  1. I would love to be at your 40th celebration whenever and wherever it it may be...

    ReplyDelete