Thursday, April 9, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 28: April 9, 2020

It was a quiet day here, at least in my own little corner of the world--I mean, in most of our days now, it seems that not much happens. But today, really not a lot happened. I puttered about and napped and tried to enjoy the little things.


The storm that blew through last night was, as one of my friends put it, "out for blood", and many folks in the region lost power and didn't get it back until 24 hours later. That's kind of hugely sucky, considering how much food people might have lost because of this. The storm front did have one pleasant outcome, however--the disgusting heat of yesterday has abated, and the weather has returned to far more proper April behavior. It was blustery all day today, and I indulged in what is becoming my favorite luxury--a noon nap, in which I doze off listening to the sound of so many birds, as well as the wind blowing through the trees beyond my window.

Having finished the very frothy Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt, I've moved on to Christopher Buckley's The Judge Hunter. I'm about 25% of the way through, and while I'm not finding it nearly as funny as some of Buckley's earlier work, it's certainly retaining my attention.

In the afternoon, I cooked up a crockpot zuppa toscana, which turned out well. I used hot Italian sausage, and no other seasonings. I wondered about that, until I had a taste. The sausage was quite enough seasoning to be getting on with! Now, I just need to find a way to lighten it up; this was by no means a "skinny" meal.

This evening, Eldest Sister and I had a "Skype Date" and watched the Downton Abbey movie, and she peppered me with questions about some of the broader points of the customs of the British aristocracy. Not sure if she actually cared or if she was just humoring her baby sister, but it was nice to hold forth on something which is so trivial, yet still so fascinating, even now.  Perhaps, especially, now. We all need something to watch, to take us away from all the crap going on, and I'm not sure you can get more escapist than British costume dramas.


Back to the real world...

Daily Indiana COVID-19 Counts: 
Total Cases: 6,351 (up from yesterday's 5,943)
245 people have died.

Daily Gratitude: 
Actually, this is something that I'm grateful for, that I don't have right now--consistent and reliable Internet. Shit's been wonky lately. Just another thing that I will try to never take for granted again...

Daily Funnies: 








No comments:

Post a Comment