Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Plague Diaries, Issue 26: April 7, 2020



This has gotten to be rather uncomfortably true for me.

Over the past week or so, The Professor has not felt quite up to snuff. We've monitored her symptoms closely, and while I don't care to disclose too much of her medical life, I will say that we are presuming she is positive for COVID-19. She's carrying on quite well, for now, and if things take a turn for the worse, it won't be for the lack of care we are both putting into her. However, now we also have to assume that I've been exposed to it.

And if that weren't enough...let's make things a little more complex, shall we?

Picture it! January, 2020! Less than a week into the New Year, I found myself felled by what I thought was one of my usual colds-turned-sinus-infection-turned-bronchitis. I stayed home from work a couple of days, rallied, and returned to work. Only to be sent home, metaphorical tail between my legs, a week later. I was exhausted, aching, coughing--a deep, chest-shuddering cough, that was dry. Whenever I took a breath, I could hear a crackling coming from my chest. Not like my usual sick fare. The next day, I went to the doctor, who didn't run any tests, but hypothesized that I had strep-pneumonia. I got some drugs and spent close to a week on my couch, too weak and drained to move, sometimes. A couple of nights, I got feverish. I never get feverish. And long after I felt well enough to go back to work, a deep, dry cough seized me throughout the day, well into February. Meanwhile, at work, we were beset with many other people being sick. A couple of days, we broke records for how many people called out sick.

You know where I'm going with this, right? I certainly don't have FOMO when it comes to COVID-19; that's a party I am quite fine with not being invited to. But for a while now, I've suspected that what I had back in January was, in fact, the Plague. And recently I came across a USA Today article that speculates that this may in fact have been the case. Now, I know USA Today is not a forerunner in the field of medical research, but we're learning more about the evolution of this plague all the time, and I would not be at all surprised if many of us had it, and recovered--or else had, and passed away, and it was dismissed as pneumonia or something like that.

Anyway. What's that got to do with the current situation? It adds a potential element of uncertainty (because we needed more of that, eh?) We have to assume The Prof has the Plague, and that I've been exposed. But what if I've already had it? It's possible I'm now immune, and frankly, that would be ideal. But we cannot know that, either. There are so many things we can assume, but yet some of the things we assume have to be incorrect, ultimately. And we may never know.

Right now, I'm feeling right as rain--and there's always a chance that The Prof doesn't have the plague, which means that I haven't been exposed, at least from that quarter. And because I'm self-isolating even more (no more weekly trips to the grocery store), I am perhaps even more safe and sheltered. Definitely better than I felt in January! I'm taking every precaution I can, and I'm lucky to still be healthy enough to help The Prof.

Keep buggering on, my friends. Stay well, and  Stay the Fuck At Home.

Daily Indiana COVID-19 Counts:
Total Cases: 5,507 (up from yesterday's 4,944)
173 people have died. Wait, excuse me? That's a jump from yesterday. Y'all, at least here in Indiana, the peak is coming. Hunker down and brace yourselves.

Daily Gratitude:
Today I got an Instacart delivery of groceries--a big one, at that. And one with one exception, I got all the food I needed--perhaps not the brand I had originally ordered, but enough to adhere to my meal plans. Hawt dawg!

Daily Funnies






1 comment:

  1. I too was very sick at Xmas. A lot of people are wondering as you and I, if we did in fact have Covid 19. The only good thing would be, that now we can’t get it again. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete